Skip to main content

Week 2- Reading Strategies

Tonight, I learned about new techniques that I can use as reading strategies in my classroom.  The RAFT method was new for me and it took me a bit to understand how it worked.  I like that it gives students options that they can choose from for writing assignments.  I think when students are given a choice, they perform with high success rates because they were allowed the freedom to make it their own.  With the RAFT method, students may try out several different options before finding the one that best suits them and that's great too!  I think that I could use this method when discussing point of view or character analysis, too.

The method that I can see using the most in my classroom would be the Anticipatory Guide.  I have used this method before when introducing a novel.  I was able to ask questions and lead class discussions on topics that would be later discovered throughout the book.  The book I chose was The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas.  It carries a lot of heaviness and very raw/real emotion that I wanted my students to be prepared for.  Throughout the book, there were mentions of organizations and groups that required some background knowledge to fully understand its importance to the book.  So, I used an anticipation guide paired with non-fiction texts to try to break preconceived notions while educating students on these organizations/groups so that they would have the necessary knowledge when they came across the information in the novel.  I thought it worked very well!  It created dialogue and thoughtful discussion among learning partners and the group as a whole.

Comments

  1. I think that's an excellent idea on your Anticipatory Guide lesson. I think providing students with some background knowledge to take away preconceived notions they may have about a topic could be very important. I have never used this strategy but I do think it could be used very effectively as you have shown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you've used the anticipation guide, it looks a tad challenging to lead. How have you adjusted it or how did your students respond to it? It is one that I'd like to try, but am having a hard time seeing how it will work exactly in my class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bronc,
      I have to apologize! I must have missed your questions here. I wish I could post a picture of my anticipatory guide for you to see! I will send it to you in an email!

      Delete
  3. Hi Lesli! I also mentioned the use of anticipation guides, but have not used them personally. I think we had the same English class last quarter so it's nice to hear what other ELA teachers are doing and the ideas they have. I'll need to read The Hate U Give since it's popular among the youth! I also like the RAFT, and you mention a great point about giving students choices. They have more ownership of their learning with choices. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that when you give students options they, typically, work harder; because it is something they picked or are vested in. That is why I like the kind of work Professor Steffes gives us too. It is great to be able to do work you enjoy. I do like the idea of giving the students a rubric so they know what expectations need to be met for that assignment. This gives them a goal to work towards. Maybe they didn't chose a certain topic off the RAFT choice board this time; because they weren't ready for that topic. However, if they see the rubric or expectations for that assignment ahead of time, with the teachers encouragement, or their own deciding; they may be ready to chose that task for themselves next time. I also liked how you used the anticipatory guide, in setting the stage, for the complexity of the topic the book was based on. Just the title seems intimidating and I feel like that would be a smart move to use the guide, so you aren't setting the students up for failure from the start. Way to go and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you I believe that when students feel like they have a choice they’re more likely to become invested in the assignment. The RAFT map was really interesting to me too and I feel like it could be very beneficial in future assignments! Great job

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment