Skip to main content

Week 4- Evaluating Instructional Material

Lesson planning can seem daunting at times.  I find that once I get started, I get into the flow of planning and I don't struggle so much.  But that getting started is tough!  I have surfed the internet for countless hours hoping to be inspired by something I could use in my own classroom.  I have wasted many hours "researching" tried and true methods for engaging students.  I was relieved to receive a checklist in class tonight that would help evaluate the instructional material that I find. 

For my observation lesson, I will be coming into a class that is 3/4 of the way through the novel, That was then, this is now by S.E. Hinton.  I will be teaching on chapter 8.  I really struggled finding a way to include a reading strategy, thinking map, and an activity into this one lesson.  This is what I have come up with. 

In this coming of age novel, many important events occur that influence a desire to change in the main character.  My objectives for this lesson are:

Objective:
  • The student will cite relevant and thorough textual evidence to support inferences drawn from the text.
  • The student will analyze how an author’s choice concerning how to order events in a text impacts the reader.
This is the activity:

Flow Map
Bryon gets beat up by the Shepard brothers at the end of chapter 8.  Why did this happen?
Sequence the events of the book (chapters 1-8) in order of occurrence to show what led to Bryon’s attack.  Summarize each event by providing textual evidence to support your claims.

Based upon what you know from the text, make a prediction about what you think will happen next.  Your response should include at least 3 complete sentences.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now that I have reviewed the checklist to ensure that my instructional material meets the criteria, I am not so sure it works. What are your thoughts?
1. Does it include accurate information? Yes
2. Does it meet my learning objects? I think so
3. Appropriate audience? yes
4. Would the age group find it appealing/interesting? yes
5. Is it in good condition? yes
6. Does it employ creative thinking? I think that it allows students to back up their opinions with textual evidence.
7. Is it engaging? I am not sure. I hope that it would be.

Comments

  1. I believe you lesson would be effective for this material use suggested here. I also would agree with you on the writing of all the lesson plans we have had to do. It has been tough, and I always have a hard time just getting started. Once I am started and figure out what I want to do, then it usually goes pretty smooth, but getting started is tough for me. All this practice has definitely made writing lesson plans become easier. I remember the first one took me forever, but now once I get going they usually don't take me that long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, the lesson plans for these classes are a thousand more times difficult and daunting than the one I use for my classroom. They are nice when you are not sure what to do, they give you a since of direction. However, the more you do them, the easier it is to fly through several of the steps, as you are accustomed to you. I would have to say that the biggest issue is to make sure what you are teaching matches your objectives and those objects meets your standards. The aspect of being engaging will fall into place as you gain a better understanding of your students. Besides, not every lesson that you will have to teachis going to be enganging and exciting to students, and they will never get every students a 100% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesson plans always take me forever. Your observation lesson sounds great. I like the idea of a flow map to help sequence the events. I’m doing my observation lesson this week and my cooperating teacher wants me to do a character analysis. Each student got to choose a book from her classroom so they have to pick a character to analyze. I’ve never really thought much of doing thinking maps in this class, but it is definitely helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bubble maps are perfect for character analysis! I think that it's easier to identify characteristics using a visual tool like this. Then, you could even go further and have them identify different character's perspectives or perception of the main character to reveal themes of the text.

      Delete
  4. I have found that sometimes it is hard for me to get started on building my lesson as well. I do great at having a creative idea but finding supportive materials is hard. I tend to try to save the websites that I find; which have more than one type of activity or idea on the site. Then, I can use these sites as quick reference sites in case I need a quick activity idea. The flow map seems like a great choice for having the students show sequencing in the story. Since they are writing about the story and using the flow map to do so, the students will be more likely to remember the material as well. So, good job and thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this lesson plan is great! I love that you used a flow chart to track the story then asked the students questions about the material within the text! I think you did a great job and I agree with you sometimes lesson planning can be hard but I think in the end it is worth it because it prepares you for what you are going to teach! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment